I have officially been sorted into Slytherin, now the work begins. In addition to classes, it seems that we are required to sneakily spy on members of other houses, discover what they like, and compose a care package of sorts. Luckily for us first years, the Head Girl posted this list of questions to get us started (not so covertly) sharing our own interests with the world (and our spoiler) so here goes!
1. Do you knit and/or crochet?
I enjoy doing both knit and crochet projects. I find that for somethings knit is much more effective, efficient and attractive for some projects (mostly sweaters, bags, scarves, socks, gloves). I know that makes it sound like there's no point to crochet, but I do enjoy making squares and then putting the squares together to make something else. I also prefer crochet for toys, baskets, and some bags.
2. How long have you been at your craft?
I have been working seriously with knitting for about four years and crocheting for about three years. I picked both activities up early in my college career, though I do vaguely remember learning the basics when I was a kid.
3. Do you spin? 4. What type of spinning do you do (drop spindle or wheel)?
I do not spin, though interestingly enough my mom's sister is into the fiber arts. And even though I haven't seen her in years, I do remember her showing us how to dye (with kool aid) and use a drop spindle...
5. Are there any other crafts that you participate in?
This question seems nice and broad...I enjoy painting and collaging. I enjoy sewing, but I have never had a quality machine at my disposal so I have not been able to really explore it as much as I'd like.
6. What are your favorite yarns/fibers?
I have been working with the cheap acrylic yarns for quite some time for a variety of reasons. The first being budget, the second being that it makes really sturdy bags, and third my friend found a huge bag full of yarn and gave it to me so I'm trying to finish that off before buying too much more. I have done some work with wool and wool blends, which I liked. I do love most of the yarns that I've looked at in stores, so more variety would be very excellent!
7. What are your LEAST favorite yarns/fibers?
I have done some projects with really stiff fibers, like hemp, and its such a pain in the hands. Same with the plastic bag "plarn". I like my fibers to be soft...
8. Are there any types/brands of yarn that you are dying to work with but haven’t gotten a
chance?
I'd be curious to work with more cotton and silk. I've done a few projects, but always with the cheap cotton you can find at chain craft stores. I'd love to try some more exotic fibers.
9. What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet?
I love making sweaters and bags. I really enjoy making socks and gloves. Sad the socks just don't satisfy me as much as the gloves and I've had trouble finding a really nice fitting glove pattern. I recently got over being intimidated by sweaters and they're amazing to make!
10. What are you currently working on?
I have a two raglan sweaters in the plans (one on needles, one being conceptualized). I am working on a purse for a classmate, and some small organizational baskets for me!
11. Anything you plan to start this autumn?
Definitely on my list are a shopping bag for my mom, a scarf for my aunt, and possibly a sweater for my boyfriend's sister. Oh yeah and whatever it is that my spoilee will be recieving ;)
12. What is your favorite Finished Object? (Please, post a picture if you would like.)
Can anyone truly pick one favorite?!?! On a first glance, and without recalling the process, I would have to say that my "autumn harvest bag" and "cranberry banana leaf cardigan" are two of my favorites that are listed on my ravelry.
13. Are their any knitting/crochet techniques that you would like to learn?
I am currently working on creating (and possibly) writing my own patterns. I have improvised a couple of purses and slippers in the past, but I would like to be able to reliably record or recreate these patterns. Maybe even think/plan them out before I start and modify from there. The raglan sweater I mentioned above is hopefully going to be one of those. All in all, I am very comfortable going from pattern to yarn buying, and I would like to be able to be more comfortable going from yarn (like gifts) to pattern. The other technique I want to learn is the two socks done at the same time on two circular needles, being ablet to finish them at the same time could make me more enthused about sock knitting.
1 Comment:
-
- Mrs.Haggie810 said...
September 26, 2008 at 10:44 PMElayna Hagcliodna, your Spoiler here! It's so awesome that you're interested in magic loop! I've got some great idea's for your kit so far! Thanks for sharing!